To be eligible for application to the Cedar Rapids Medical Education Foundation the candidate must meet the academic and funding criteria established by the Medical Education Advisory Committee. Those criteria are detailed below.
- Eligibility criteria of ACGME
- Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to accredited residency programs:
- Graduates of medical schools in the US and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of medical schools in the US and Canada accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA). (COMLEX scores are acceptable.)
- Graduates of medical schools outside the US and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications, in addition to having graduated from a medical school recognized by the Medical Board of California:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- Have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a US licensing jurisdiction
- US citizen graduates from medical schools outside the US and Canada who cannot qualify under the above, but who have successfully completed the licensure examination in a US jurisdiction in which the law or regulations provide that a full and unrestricted license to practice will be granted without further examination after successful completion of a specified period of medical education
- Graduates of medical schools in the United States and its territories not accredited by the LCME, but recognized by educational and licensure authorities in a medical licensing jurisdiction who have completed the procedures described in the previous paragraph
- Graduates of medical schools outside the US who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school
State of Iowa Criteria
- Must be qualified and eligible for full licensure in the State of Iowa
The following criteria have been defined by the Medical Education Advisory Committee:
- Completed medical school training within the past three years OR training in an ACGME-accredited American graduate medical education program within the past Four years
- Must have passed the ECFMG-qualifying exams (USMLE CK 1, CK 2 and CS OR COMLEX 1, COMLEX 2 and CS) on the first attempts. Please do not apply if you have not passed on first attempts. In addition, we expect candidates to have scored at least 220 on the USMLE exams, at least 500 on Comlex 1 and 2, at least 400 on Comlex 3.
- Must be fluent in written and verbal English language
- For an application to be competitive, clinical experience in the United States, beyond observerships, is highly recommended
- Successful completion, on the first attempt, of USMLE Step 3 (or COMLEX 3) is expressly desired and decidedly to an applicant's advantage
Intern and Resident Information System (IRIS)
A candidate must have full IRIS direct and indirect support for the entire duration of training.
Extenuating or Extraordinary Circumstances
The Executive Director or Program Director of CRMEF have the prerogative to present an applicant to the Medical Education Advisory Committee who would not otherwise be eligible, but whose qualifications are felt to merit consideration. The decision to do so is solely that of the Executive Director or Program Director based on review of an application. Please do not request special consideration.